Saturday, July 2, 2011

We stopped by the garden tonight and I am so glad that we did. I hadn't noticed before but it seems that we have peas! Snow peas and snap peas are everywhere, sadly I didn't bring my camera with me and I have no pictures. I will be sure to take some photos tomorrow as they look lovely, they taste great as well!

While we were there one of my neighbours offered me some dill. She has so much in her garden that she can't use it all, so I was able to bring some home with us. We have planted dill but it hasn't grown very much yet so this was a welcome gift, we gave her a couple heads of lettuce in return. This a wonderful and rather common theme at the garden.

As I wasn't  planning on cooking anything tonight with the dill, especially this much dill, I decided to freeze it. The whole process is very easy and will come in handy when I don't have fresh herbs in the kitchen. 
Wash and dry the dill, I shook it as dry as I could, then cut the roots off and separate the leaves from the main large stem. From what I've read you can use both, but I figured it would be best to freeze them separately as I will use the stems in soup and the leaves with potatoes or in sauces.



 Chop up the dill.


Put the dill in ice cube trays and top them up with water before popping them in the freezer. Once they are frozen pop them out of the ice cube trays and into a freezer bag or a container and they are good to go the next time you want dill in whatever you're cooking.



Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment